Sunday, July 10, 2011

#SampleSunday

Below you will find a rough draft of the beginning of a new novel that I am working on that I hope will be come a mystery series. I'm working on it this month as my Camp NaNoWriMo project and hope to get published as a Kindle book by this fall. Remember, in NanoWriMo it's a rough draft, no editing until it's finished, so pardon the errors so far.

Carol

Mystic: The Beginning
A Nathan Perry novel

The lunch crowd had filled The Witch's Cauldron café on this cold January morning in Mystic, Massachusetts. Nathan Perry stood at the door looking for an empty table. Finally spotting one near the rear of the room, he started back.

"Nathan? Is that you?" a woman said from one of the tables.

He stopped at the table where a cute brown-haired, brown-eyed woman sat. She looked familiar and then it came to him. "Dana Tyler?"

She stood and they hugged.

"You look great, Nathan. What are you doing back in town?"

"I have a job interview," he said.

"Really? Why don't you sit down and tell me about it. We need to catch up."

Nathan slid into the booth on the opposite side. Dana had been his on-again, off-again girlfriend in high school. He glanced at her right hand looking for a wedding band and saw none. If he ended up moving back to Mystic, Massachusetts, it might be nice knowing a single girl in town.

"So, job interview, eh? Does this mean you're moving back home?" she asked.

"If the job pans out, I might."

A waitress came up to the table. "I thought you were eating alone today, Dana. Who's your friend?"

"This is Nathan Perry. We went to high school together and he just walked in. Nathan, this is Ginger Raines. She owns this place."

"How do you do, Ms. Raines?"

"Oh honey, please don't call me that. I'm Ginger to everyone."

He wasn't sure how to take the flamboyant woman with bright red spiked hair and a little overweight. She seemed to accept him without reservation. "It's nice to meet you, Ginger. Please call me Nathan."

"What can I get you from the menu, Nathan?"

He picked up the single sheet laminated menu. "I'll have a turkey club and some iced tea."

"Be right back," Ginger said, turning and heading to the kitchen.

"Tell me about this job interview," Dana asked.

"It's an interview for the detective job with the Mystic Police Department."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Booksiginng

Save the date - On March 30, at From the Ground Up Books, Main Street, LeGrange, Kentucky, I, along with two of my sisters from the Derby R...