Monday, April 21, 2014

A Look Toward Retirement: Round up of my vacation

Counting weekends, I've been away from my day job for ten days and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I have actually be able to not check my work e-mail or my voice mail messages and haven't even wanted to. This vacation has given me a look into what retirement may be like for me. I'm not quite old enough to retire yet, but in a little less than five years, I'm eligible to retire from my government job. Now, whether I can afford to retire at that time will be the question. But, this week has told me that I won't go crazy sitting at home all the time and that I am disciplined enough to not just sit on the couch and eat all day. I wrote this week and wrote a lot. Oh, I did take the occasional break to watch a cooking show now and then, but hey I get breaks at my day job too. After I submitted my finished manuscript to the publisher on Tuesday and attended my writers group on Wednesday, I took the rest of the week off. Well, except for Thursday.


On Thursday, I had a table at the Jeffersonville (Indiana) Public Library's Authors Fair for National Library Week. Once the writing is finished, you have to push your wares. I had a great time, meet some wonderful people, and putting some faces to some online friends I had never met in person. There were 36 authors in attendance, included Karen Robards, NY Times Best Selling romance author. She was probably the most popular author there and I was in awe of her. I'm really looking forward to attending again next year.

This week was probably one of the best vacations that I've ever had and it has convinced me that I can survive retirement....someday.

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Wonderful Day of Booksigning

My Derby Rotten Scoundrel sisters, Patience Martin, holding Max, Jeanette Pope, Elaine Munsch, and myself had a wonderful time at From the G...