Saturday, February 12, 2011

Valentine's Day Memories

I have lots of Valentine's Day memories from elementary school to adulthood. I think I had my first boyfriend when I was in the third grade. Remember the little boxes of valentines that our parents bought us to give to our classmates? I remember choosing a special one for my boyfriend. Oh wow, and I remember the one he gave me actually said, I love you. This was in the third grade!

We were an on again, off again couple through the fifth grade. I remember one day when recess was over and we were all heading back to our class, he pulled me aside by the classroom door. I was so afraid I would be late getting to my desk, but he pleaded for me to wait. While his sister and her boyfriend watched, he gave me three little fur-covered ceramic rabbits, a mama and her two bunnies attached with a chain. My first boyfriend gift. Well, that relationship faded out over that year, but you know I still have those rabbits somewhere in a closet.

When my husband and I were dating, he was quite the romantic. At the time, he was a Deputy Sheriff working the four-to-midnight shift. He often would stop by my house to visit for a few minutes and I always had my police scanner on to listen to his calls. Sometimes that was okay and sometimes it was a little scary, especially when I heard him take off on a foot pursuit of a suspect by himself. At least once every night, he would drive by my house and key the microphone a couple times letting me know he came by, or even better was when he would drive by earlier in the evening and flip on the red lights. I had close neighbors, so he didn't do that too often.

My favorite Valentine's Day story about him was when he told me he was going to bring his gift sometime in the middle of the night and there was no way I was going to catch him. Oh, and he said that the neighbors would love seeing it the next morning. I figured he was going to put something on my the hood of my car, so I kept the front curtains open and lights off. I was determined to catch him and not be embarrassed by my neighbors. You know what, I was not able catch him, but I did get the gift before the neighbors saw it. Out of a huge piece of plywood, he had cut out a heart, painted it bright red, nailed it to a stake, and planted it in my front yard. I don't know how he got it there without me seeing him. I must have missed him by only a few minutes. It's been a while since he's done anything like that, but that's okay. He's my Valentine every day now.

I want to wish everyone a Happy Valentine's Day and especially to my best friend, Sandy and her special guy, Dave. They are both special people to me.

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Wonderful Day of Booksigning

My Derby Rotten Scoundrel sisters, Patience Martin, holding Max, Jeanette Pope, Elaine Munsch, and myself had a wonderful time at From the G...