Thursday, March 28, 2013

Excerpt from "Compromised"

Below is an excerpt from my romantic suspense novel, Compromised. It's available in both e-book and paperback at http://amzn.to/15YT8Tz

Thanks,
Carol

     "The table looks beautiful."
     Ethan had set the table with water goblets, wineglasses, candles, and fresh flowers decorated the table. Soft music played on the stereo and the lights were dimmed.
     "You didn't have to do all of this," she said.
     "You approve?"
     "I approve. Where did the flowers come from?" she asked, as he seated her at the table. The arrangement contained a mixture of brightly colored spring flowers.
     "I called a florist today and asked to have them delivered here. They came while you were in the shower," he said. He went into the kitchen and came back out placing two plates with lobster, vegetables, and rice on the table and sat down, too.
     "This looks and smells wonderful," she said, while Ethan poured her a glass of wine. "When did you get the wine?"
     "While you were working in the studio I left to picked up a bottle." Ethan smiled the whole time he talked. He felt very happy with his accomplishment.
     "You didn't have to go to all the trouble with such an extravagant meal for me."
     "Yes, I did." Suddenly, his smile disappeared and he became very serious. He leaned over and placed his hand on her cheek brushing his lips against hers so gently.
     After the kiss, she looked down.
     "Cally, are you okay?" he asked.
     "That kiss brought back a lot of memories," she finally said.
     "Good memories, I hope."
     "Some good, some bad." She looked at him, staring into those hazel eyes. "We're different people now than we were in college. I don't even know anything about you and you won't even talk to me about your life."
     "I know I haven’t talked much about myself. Most people wouldn’t understand my life. There are a lot of secrets, a lot of lies, and a lot of loneliness."
     Before Cally could say anything, her phone rang. She went into the living room answer it and came back to the table. Her voice became very excited as she talked to the person on the other end of the line. "Oh thank you! Thank you so much."
     Hanging up the phone, she looked at Ethan. A smile spread across her face. "That was Victoria. I have great news. Our station got approval to do an interview with the Royal Prince of England and Victoria wants me to do it. I'm going to London!"
     Ethan just sat there showing no expression.
     "Isn't this great news? Aren't you happy for me?"
     He looked up at her. "You can't go."
     Stunned, her eyes widened. "What do you mean, I can't go?" 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Booksiginng

Save the date - On March 30, at From the Ground Up Books, Main Street, LeGrange, Kentucky, I, along with two of my sisters from the Derby R...