The last person Grace Taylor wanted to see was her old boyfriend, Andy Granger, but that's exactly who was standing in front of her on the porch of the ranch. To make matters worse, he was her trail guide. When an unexpected spring storm strands them in a secluded mountain cabin, memories and old feelings emerge. Can Grace keep the secret she'd kept for eight years while at the same time keep Andy at a distance?
Since my book is about a hot, sexy cowboy in Colorado, I wanted to list my favorite caliente cowboys from television and movies.
1. Tom Selleck and 2. Sam Elliott. Both played brothers in The Shadow Riders, a 1982 television movie. I don't think there is any cowboy any sexier than those two in that movie. The third brother in the movie was played by Jeff Osterhage. The Shadow Riders was based upon the Louis L'Amour book of the same name. Prior to The Shadow Riders, Selleck, Elliott and Osterhage played brothers in The Sacketts, based on two of L'Amour's books called "The Daybreakers" and "Sackett."
3. Bruce Campbell in The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. Airing on television in 1993-1994, Brisco was a western with just a touch of science fiction. Set in 1893, Brisco County Jr was hired by the members of the Westerfield Club to track and re-capture the notorious John Bly, who killed Brisco's father, Brisco County Sr. The show was full of the traditional train robberies and gunfights, but with a mix of fantasy and technology. Campbell went through five auditions before being hired to play Brisco. I can't imagine anyone else playing the quirky cowboy other than Bruce Campbell.
4. Clint Eastwood. How can you talk about hot cowboys and not include Clint Eastwood. I think he's made around fourteen westerns and was great in everyone of them, but my favorite is Pale Rider. Made in 1985, the title Pale Rider referenced the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse from the book of Revelation, "I looked and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death."
5. James Garner as Bret Maverick. I'm dating myself, but I remember the TV series, Maverick when it was in black and white. The series ran from 1957 through 1962 and let me preface this by saying I was not even born yet when this show started so maybe I remember the reruns in black and white. Maverick was a gambler from Texas that traveled all over the American west and Mississippi riverboats seeking his fortune, but usually getting into trouble. Maverick loved to compare his situations with old saying from his "pappy." In 1994, James Garner appeared in the movie remake of Maverick by playing Marshal Zane Cooper to Mel Gibson's Bret Maverick.
6. Robert Conrad as Secret Service Agent James West. The Wild Wild West aired on CBS for four seasons starting in 1965. It was one of the first steampunk shows, although I don't think anyone knew what steampunk was back then. Who could forget Robert Conrad in all of those fights scenes where those tight pants. That was definitely caliente back in those times. West lived in a railroad car and traveled all over the west solving crimes for the government with his partner, Artimus Gordon, played by Ross Martin. I watch reruns of The Wild Wild West on Saturday afternoons.
7. Nathan Fillion as Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds. Firefly is considered a space western and Mal is the sexiest captain on this side of the star system. Mal and his crew traveled the galaxy in the spaceship, Serenity. Firefly lasted only one season on the FOX network and was cancelled after only eleven episodes. Due to it's cult following, sales of the series DVD have done very well and Nathan Fillion's appearances at Comic-Con have an increased attendance every year.
So, there you have my list of favorite sexy, Caliente Cowboys. Now, it's your turn. Tell me who your favorite cowboys are and why. Don't forget, leaving a comment and email address will enter you into my contest for a pdf copy of my novella, "Spring Forward, Fall Back in Love." I'll announce the winner on May 12 here on the blog.