Friday, April 18, 2014

50 to 1: A Movie Review

First, a disclaimer, my favorite actor, Christian Kane stars in this movie, so I'm just a teeny bit bias in my review, but even if he wasn't in this movie it was still great. I saw 50 to 1 the movie today and was highly impressed. What a wonderful movie that anyone can go see. I laughed, I sang, and I cried. Who doesn't like an underdog or a long-shot. This movie tells the story of the 2009 Kentucky Derby winner Mind that Bird and the journey of the owners and trainer to winning the fastest two-minutes in sports. It starts Skeet Ulrich, Christian Kane, Maddie Duetch, William Devane, and real Mind That Bird jockey Calvin Borel. Famed horse trainer, Bob Baffert also made several cameo appearances. I think of everyone in the movie, Calvin Borel stole the show. Playing himself, he was a wonderful actor. He's always been my favorite jockey and I loved that he was able to be in the movie.
Most of the filming was done in New Mexico, but the cast and crew invaded Churchill Downs for two weeks of filming.
During their cross-country tour, the cast kept calling this a feel-good movie. It wasn't till I watched it that I realized what that meant. You leave the theater with such a great feeling of the little guy getting it over on the buy guy. No one at the Derby gave them a chance and especially no respect. At least that the way the movie depicted it. I wonder if Baffert really did say those horrible things about Bird and his crew. If so, I've lost all respect for that man.


The acting was superb! Each and every one of that actors gave their all and you can tell. Christian Kane, as owner Mark Allen, was spot on. Not to mention Kane had two of his songs that played in the background during a scene in a bar. Kane has always been a favorite actor of mine, and his acting here was not disappointing.
The only distracting part of the movie was in a scene with Ulrich and Duetch where Ulrich's earlobe had two piercing holes in it. I couldn't keep my eye off his ear, but none of the movie was bad at all.
I'm hoping to go see the movie again and can't wait for the DVD to come out.
I tip my black cowboy hat to all the actors, writers, director, and producers for taking a wonderful story and bring life to it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Booksiginng

Save the date - On March 30, at From the Ground Up Books, Main Street, LeGrange, Kentucky, I, along with two of my sisters from the Derby R...