Monday, September 6, 2010

Being Organized

I'm speaking later this week at my writers group meeting about being an organized writer. I'm an organizational freak, possibly bordering on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder about it. Actually, you probably wouldn't believe that looking at the picture to the left. That is one of my work spaces and I admit it's cluttered. You should see the space directly to the right of the desk. Oh my.

Well, like I said, it's just one of my work spaces. I also work at on our desktop computer downstairs and my favorite place to work is sitting on our couch. Anyway, back to the topic. I suppose I am more obsessive about having my writing organized. When I started writing novels, I kept all my notes in a vinyl folder. I laughed at other writers when they talked about using a binder for their notes. Then, one day when I was giving this presentation to another writers group, I put my notes in a binder with divided sections to show the group and I was impressed with how I liked it. I have used a binder for all the notes, research, and outlines for all of my manuscripts ever since.

I also am a stickler for keeping my online research organized. I have folders set up on my computer to save links for web sites that I will use. Each folder corresponds to the manuscript I am writing. If it's information that I will be constantly referring to, such as a map, I will print it off, punch holes in it and put it in the binder in the Research section.

Other things I do to organized my writing is use a micro-recorder. If I am on a long drive, which happens often with my day job, and an idea pops in my head, I can grab the recorder and save my idea for later. If you have a cell phone, you can save short notes in it, if you find yourself without pen and paper.

There are so many other ways I cut corners with proper organization, too many to go into here. Perhaps, I can expand on that on another day here. Wish me luck on my presentation this week.

Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Wonderful Day of Booksigning

My Derby Rotten Scoundrel sisters, Patience Martin, holding Max, Jeanette Pope, Elaine Munsch, and myself had a wonderful time at From the G...