Sunday, July 31, 2011

Autograph or Kindlegraph

My book, Love, Lies & Deceit is an ebook and also available as a Kindle download. When anyone mentions a booksigning to me, I shutter at the thought of how am I going to sign an ebook. This is not an uncommon question among ebook authors and today, I found one solution. Have you ever heard of a Kindlegraph? It's a way for authors to autograph their Kindle books.

So, this morning I signed up for it. It's a pretty cool concept. A reader who wants to have their Kindle book signed can go to the web site and search for my book and request the Kindlegraph. I receive an email saying someone wants their ebook signed and I can then go to the Kindlegraph web site and "write" a personal message and sign it. Once I hit enter, it takes about 30 seconds for the reader to received a copy of my book cover with the personal message and my signature below it on their Kindle. Here is a copy of Tina Fey's newest book with a Kindlegraph.

Drawbacks? Oh yes, there are drawbacks. Right now, the signature that you receive isn't my real signature, but one that is as close to my handwriting as I could get. There are several samples of handwriting to chose from, or you can try and put your own signature on the site using the mouse as your pen. I tried that and oh my, it looked even worse than my own writing, which is pretty bad. So, until I can master better handwriting with the mouse, you'll get a signature that is pretty close to my own.

You also have to have a Twitter account to log into the site and have to register your Kindle in order to receive the signature on your device. You'll need to know the email address for your Kindle.

Another drawback is the size of the signature. When I signed up for the service, I went on there and requested my own Kindlegraph for my book. When it arrived, I found it to be very small. I would have liked for it to be a little larger so I could see it better.

Still, it's a pretty neat concept and at least one way of being able to sign my book. If you're interested, click on Kindlegraph and see what you think.

Until I can get some postcards made up for me to sign, this will have to do for anyone wanting my autograph.

Carol

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm the creator of Kindlegraph.

    Thanks for being an early adopter of the service and for writing about it on your blog. I'm working to improve all aspects of the system including the ones that you've mentioned. I appreciate your support and patience while I work through some of these issues.

    Regards,
    Evan Jacobs, Founder
    http://www.kindlegraph.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Evan. I love Kindlegraph and am looking forward to any updates.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

An Interview with E.M. Munsch

Today, I welcome author E.M. Munsch for some questions, answers, and maybe a little hot tea.. Elaine writes the Dash Hammond series and her ...