Saturday, June 25, 2011


My vacation is over and I'm already depressed that I have to go back to my day job on Monday. I did have a great time off, including a two-night camping trip with my husband to Lincoln State Park in southern Indiana.

Originally, they had predicted severe storms for the first day of camping. For those of you that know me, know how much I hate severe weather, but I was a trooper and went anyway. It turned out that we had wonderful weather. No severe storms, or even rain, for us at all. It even turned cold, which I was unprepared for by not taking any shirts with sleeves and no jacket.

Above is our home away from home for the two days. Oh my, we felt like we were the slums within the high-rent district at the campground. I could probably count the number of tents on one hand in the campground as opposed to the number of RV's. We were stuck in the middle of them. I couldn't believe how fancy some of the RV's were. All had air conditioners on top and most of them put up a canopy tent over the picnic table at their site, not to mention the satellite dishes. I have to admit, we did try to get one of those canopy tents that CVS had on sale in the weekly flyer. What I found was that CVS only sent one canopy to each store, if that many. I checked at or called five different CVS stores with no luck. But, back to the camping, I can only imagine what the owners of the RV's were thinking of us with our tent.

We had a few furry four-legged visitors at our campsite. Our first visitor was a raccoon. From our experiences camping, we had expected that visitor, but not before dark. That little guy showed up around 5 pm and quickly ran back into the woods when he saw us, but made a return trip about 2 am stealing the two sweet potatoes that were left in the fire pit.

Our next visitor was the little guy on the upper left, a young squirrel. We knew you aren't supposed to feed the animals, but my husband couldn't resist because this squirrel was so small. After wiping the salt off of a few nuts, my husband tossed them out onto the gravel for the squirrel to find. He got all of them, except one. He wasn't fast enough and a very friendly crow swooped down and picked it up.

We really didn't do anything while camping and that was the way I liked it. I had seen a chair in the K-Mark weekly ad for $19.99 and knew that would be the perfect chair for me on our trip. It had a foot rest. A few days before leaving on the trip, I bought the chair to the left, but not at K-Mart. I found one at Big Lots for $16.99. That chair is where I spent most of the time. I took my Kindle ebook reader and enjoyed a large selection of books to read that I had downloaded.

I had a good week and a half off for my vacation and as I said at the beginning of this post, I am not looking forward to going back. I wonder if the reason might be that I keep thinking of retirement. I can retire from my government job in approximately seven years, 8 months, and three days, if I can afford it. Maybe by then, I will be a best-selling author. (LOL, back to reality.)


1 comment:

  1. Looks like great fun! I went camping for years up in the mountains of New Mexico, a goodly drive from Dallas and the coolness was always welcome. Not sure I'd care to camp in warm humid conditions. Glad you made it back safely from the wilds