Monday, April 16, 2012

N: Naming Characters

When someone finds out that I'm a writer, there are two questions that I get asked most often. Where do you get your ideas and how do you name your characters? I've already covered the idea question in my post on April 4th. So, today I'll tell you how I name my characters.

Many times a name will just pop in my head. That's how I named the sheriff, Ben Hunter in my current release, Saved by the Sheriff. Then, there are times, that I grab a phone book to look for a name. Normally, when I do this I don't use both the first and last name from the book. I will choose a first name and then look for a last name to go with it. If I can't find a name I'm happy with after looking through the phone book, I will resort to the internet. There are hundreds of web pages out there to use to name your characters. Below are a few that I like to go to when I'm stuck for a name.

Behind the Name - the etymology and history of first names.

The Random Name Generator - for first & last names.

Fake Name Generator - for male and female characters

If you find that you don't like these sites, I suggest going to Google and search for "name generators." One thing that I do not do in my books is use someone's real name, even if they're a friend or relative. I might use their first name, but never with their real last name. I just don't want to take a chance on them not liking what I have done with their namesake in my book.

Carol

A - Z Blog Challenge

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this excellent idea of naming your characters :) I will try it too.

    http://sulekharawat.com/2012/04/15/milestone/

    ReplyDelete

Booksiginng

Save the date - On March 30, at From the Ground Up Books, Main Street, LeGrange, Kentucky, I, along with two of my sisters from the Derby R...